Computer options: integrated graphics controller

Tycho 06:08 10 Aug 05

I think that I have to replace my 7 year old system. I am looking at the cheapest options.

Among other decisions there is that of the graphics card. Is the integrated graphics controller optiona good thing? (I am not a games player but would like to use Google Earth!)

Diodorus Siculus 08:22 10 Aug 05

Integrated graphics can be good for regular 2d stuff but given that you can get a decent enough AGP card for about £30, I would at least suggest a machine that has an AGP slot available.

Tycho 09:17 10 Aug 05

That's a good point Diodorus Siculus.

The ebuyer specs for expansion slots gives:

Expansion Slots Total (Free)

1 ( 0 ) x processor - Socket A

2 ( 1 ) x memory - DIMM 184-PIN
1 ( 1 ) x AGP 8x
3 ( 3 ) x PCI
1 ( 1 ) x SD Memory Card
1 ( 1 ) x Memory Stick
1 ( 1 ) x SmartMedia Card
1 ( 1 ) x CompactFlash Card - type I/II

So the Graphics card slot should be OK and it should cope with any camera cards that I am likely to get.

Expansion Bays Total (Free)
2 ( 1 ) x front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H
2 front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H
Internal - 3.5" x 1/3H

I would like to install the CD writer that I have on my present computer and the new HDD that I installed at the beginning of the year. I am uncertain as to whether they will physically fit in the positions available. Presumeably the 1/2H refers to half height. Are CD writers usually half height?

The machine that I am thinking of is click here

It seems comfortingly cheap with enough on it to satisfy my needs for surfing, email, digital photos and simple web design.

Diodorus Siculus 09:25 10 Aug 05

That does not have a seperate AGP slot - but it should still be ok for what you want it for.

See if you can find out how much RAM can be allocated to graphics - if up to 128mb, you should be ok.

961 10:30 10 Aug 05

does the product spec page not say 1 x agp slot, or am I missing something

woodchip 10:44 10 Aug 05

Don't think you will beat this price click here

Diodorus Siculus 22:25 10 Aug 05

EBUYER - CPUs, Memory, Monitors, Printers, Storage, Networking, Software + more

"Graphics Controller Type AGP 8x - integrated
Video Memory Shared Video Memory (UMA)"
click here

DieSse 22:58 10 Aug 05

It certainly lists an AGP slot in the spec given.

I would be inclined to spend a tad more and go for 512Mb RAM. With some of it allocated to graphics you'll need the extra.

"So the Graphics card slot should be OK and it should cope with any camera cards that I am likely to get"

The camera cards are memory cards not graphics cards - they fit into 6 in 1 Card Reader - make sure the types listed correspond with what your camera uses.

Diodorus Siculus 07:32 11 Aug 05

Indeed it does... should have read all the specs!

Tycho 14:58 11 Aug 05

Thanks for all the help so far.

One final question, and this seems ever more distant from the original topic, assuming that at some point I will need to reinstall XP Home, what extra will I need in the way of CD's

Diodorus Siculus 19:12 11 Aug 05

Find out from them if XP comes on a CD / recovery partition on the disk / recovery disk or what.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…