Computer operating telperatures

Andsome 10:49 24 Jan 03
  Andsome 10:49 24 Jan 03

Please expect a few postings for a while as I am using my brand new computer with XP Home which I am not used to. I know what a wonderful helpful lot you all are. (Creep creep).

I have problems in the room where the computer lives with it getting very warm in there on very hot summer days, so I have taken the precaustion of having a 'PC Doctor' fitted into the new machine. It has now been running for about 3 hours, and the temperatures are CPU 30 degrees, HDD 34 degrees, and system 25 degrees. Obviously these are not high, but does anyone know what the maximums should be before I switch off in the summer?

System is using ABIT BD7-11 motherboard, Pentium 4 2400 MHZ, 512DDR Memory PC2700, GEFORCE 4 T14200 128MBDDR graphics card

Djohn 11:19 24 Jan 03

Morning Andsome don,t think you will need to worry, last summer on the few very hot days we had, I experienced no problems at all, and that is with an AMD which tend to run hot anyway.

Your temperatures at the moment are excellent and will cope well with any heat waves we get!

Andsome 11:33 24 Jan 03

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that this room can get up to 34 degrees on the odd occasion in very hot weather, as we live in a chalet bungalow and this particular room is in loft space. I just wondered at what operating temperatures I should start to worry, and switch off to allow cooling.

Pilch.... 12:03 24 Jan 03

a fan bay bus?

allows you to control your fan speed's? like now if you have etc fan's, you can afford to go higher so by slowing the fans down means that you can cut down on the noise!

The for the summer you can up the speed a little, and so cool your PC even more!

mark3110 12:04 24 Jan 03

As it is a new PC you may be able to set a temperature cut-off from the BIOS. I have an Athlon xp2200 and have the cut-off set at 80c, which is still below AMD reccomendations.

As for Intel Temps, try visiting the Intel web site.

Regards

Mark

goonerbill 12:27 24 Jan 03

as suggested by someone on another thread, if ya really worried about ya pc getting to hot you could always take the side off and have a desk fan blowing into it.
really though, you should have no worries about ya pc getting to hot and you could always set the temp. alarm in the bios.

bvw in bristol 13:55 24 Jan 03

The Pentium 4 core comes equipped with a thermal monitoring unit that permanently checks the temperature. As soon as the core temperature has reached a certain trigger value, the thermal unit throttles down the clock of Pentium 4 until a safe temperature has been reached.

This solution is clearly commendable and proves that Intel's idea of equipping Pentium 4 with clock-throttling was far from a bad idea, as some sources want to make us believe. It is pretty much impossible to 'fry' a Pentium 4 processor. Additionally, Pentium 4 remains operational even once the thermal catastrophe took place and the heat sink fell off.

It also needs to be said that Intel's heat sink design specs leave hardly any room for an accident in which the heat sink comes off. The method that keeps the Pentium 4 heat sink in place is a very sturdy solution. This is also valid for the new Pentium 4 for Socket478.

From Toms Hardware:click here

Andsome....if it gets hot up there you will fry but the Pentium will keep going :o)

« Ravin » 15:46 24 Jan 03

i have a friend living in asia who bought a P4 about 7 months ago and he was worried about the processor heating up too since the room doesn't have air conditioning. but so far in 7 months no problems.

the temperatures there are 30 to 35 degrees on normal days can go up to 46!! during the peak summer season :O

Andsome 17:37 24 Jan 03

Thanks all for the replies, I am very reassured. I am already getting to grips with XP, and am confident that I have made the right choice. It would appear that tales of woe about SP1 may only apply on upgrades or after other downloads. The Installation disk now contains SP1 so it installs from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…