Computer not working, is this a Trojan?

Baskerville 20:10 18 Dec 10

Today a problem started to occur with my wife's computer various messages came in advising to go to "Antivirus Scan" which looks like a rogue company, lots of spelling mistakes in the advert. It has stopped internet access (this is being posted on another computer) I have tried a scan with Avast which found a few minor problems but nothing major, whenever I try to click on a desktop icon a windows security alert pops up reporting "The computer is infected" I have tried Super Antispyware which did not find the problem and I am now unable to open any desktop items.

Is there anyone out there can help to advise what is attacking us.

Thank you
Baskerville

rdave13 20:19 18 Dec 10

This instruction from Bleeping Computers should remove it for you; click here

birdface 20:28 18 Dec 10

Go to tools.Internet options.connections.Lan settings.Anything at all on proxy server remove it including the tick.
That should let you update your security programs then run them.

Baskerville 21:19 18 Dec 10

rdave 13
Downloaded the software from Bleepers computers and tried to install it but again the security alert pops up before it will install and tells me that "the application cannot be executed the file mbam.ex is infected" the file is on the desktop but will not execute.

Buteman
Tried your way but it will not allow me to go through any of my settings keeps telling me it is infected.

woodchip 21:36 18 Dec 10

Try some of these online scanners click here

rdave13 21:44 18 Dec 10

Is this in safe mode with networking? Various versions of rkill to download and run first. Remember you can download both rkill and Malwarebytes to a usb drive or CD, on a clean machine, to run on the infected PC. Study the instructions.
Run rkill then install and update malwarebytes.

rdave13 21:48 18 Dec 10

Should have added these rogue security programs need to be stopped before cleaning hence the need for rkill. Check that proxy setting is still disabled as sometimes the rogue software will try to enable again.

Baskerville 12:26 19 Dec 10

Many thanks for the help last night, as said previous, nothing seemed to work when trying malwarebytes simply because the rogue security saw it and stopped it from executing, I rebooted and tried to execute it before the comp had time to load up, this I managed to do and then run malwarebytes and it worked, found the problem and then removed it, then I ran rkill and this I think must have got rid of the problem once and for all.

I feel the reason the machine was infected in the first place was because a while back the Avast prog I have stopped the computer from allowing access to go online, it kept blocking and would not allow google to run, This I got round by disabling Avast to allow access, my son was on the computer yesterday when it got hit by this rogue security prog simply because it was not protected by Avast.
Why Avast has started to stop internet access I don't know, I cannot get on PCA without disabling Avast, how do I get round this because I certainly dont want to be hit by this thing again, it ruined family life yesterday !

Many thanks to all that helped,
Baskerville.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:40 19 Dec 10

Avast may be corrupted or compromised

click here
Use the uninstall tool to completely remove Avast and then re download and reinstall

See if it then blocks sites

Baskerville 19:23 19 Dec 10

Done what you said Fruit Bat, it's not blocking sites now, many thanks,

Baskerville.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…