Computer Not Turning On

Gooseballer 23:18 11 Aug 05

I need help with my PC. The other night I put it on stand-by and in the morning it did not turn on. I have checked all the cables and PSU but still it will not turn on.
Does any one have an idea what is wrong with it and if it can be resolved, how?

Thanks

VoG II 23:29 11 Aug 05

Version of Windows?

Just how far does it get?

woodchip 23:31 11 Aug 05

My Guess is faulty PSU

jessie .x..x.x 23:37 11 Aug 05

strange ????

Does it try to power up whatsoever ???

Maybe you could ask in work (if you work)if anyone could possibly pop around and have a quick look at the PC. It may be something obvious that you have not noticed.

If you decide that you need to take it to a shop for them to see what the problem may possible be then DONT take it to a well known high street branch ( rip off) instead take it to a local PC repair shop who will be at least 50% cheaper !!!

hope this helps

jes x

Gooseballer 23:38 11 Aug 05

It is XP Pro.
Nothing happens when i turn it on. I have made sure all the leads are connected and i have also tried a different PSU but no luck.

jessie .x..x.x 23:44 11 Aug 05

Therefore if you have tried another PSU maybe that the power button on the front of the tower may be at fault

woodchip 23:50 11 Aug 05

Is the other PSU any good and is it big enough???

BigRik 15:24 12 Aug 05

When the very same thing happened to me, after a nearby lightening strike, I also tried a new PSU, which also didn't work. Turned out to be the motherboard had fried.

The storm was in the middle of the night, so obviously caught me unawares.

Just to say that although you may or may not have had a storm recently, it could that be your MB has "ceased to function within normal parameters". (Sorry about that. Just heard it on the TV and couldn't resist it!)

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 12 Aug 05

1. socket OK?

2. power lead wiring in plug and fuse?

3. Switch on rear of PSU?

4. switch on front of PC (disconnect from mobo and quickly short across pins on mobo {atx boards only})

5. PSU faulty

6. memory fault (try 1 stick at atime or substitute known good mem)

7. faulty drive drags down psu voltage (disconnect all drives and try reboot error primary disk failure should come up)

8. faulty card (disconnect all cards and retest do fans run?)

9. motherboard shorted to frame (remove from case place on paper connect PSU graphics card 1 stick memory and HDD short pins as 4 to boot)

10. mobo fried

11. CPU fried

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…