computer not recognising dvds

surreyfrog 15:08 09 Dec 05

I wonder if you can help me with this one?

my 4 year old eMachine pc has a samsung dvd rom. It worked fine, but since I upgraded to XP I seem to have a prblem (although I'm not 100% sure it's due to the upgrade).

Basically, eveything will play except DVDs.

I have just installed PowerDVD, so the decoder is installed, I have also checked the driver is there , but DVDs still wont play.

If I try Windows Media PLayer, the option to play DVD is not there. If I try PowerDVD it tells me to inset a disc, even though there is one in the drive.

If I go to My Computer, it shows me the D DVD drive icon, but if I put a DVD in it doesn't change to the DVD title (although it's fine with any other type of disc)

Today, it did recognise a dvd, but after I ejected it and reloaded it it failed to recognise it, or any other DVD. So briefly, it worked.

Can you help please?

Stuartli 15:13 09 Dec 05

Have you checked WMP's File Types to see if DVD is enabled (all types in fact)?

If so and it's OK you may need to download an audio and video codecs pack - the free K-Lite standard pack, which is enough for the majority of purposes, can be downloaded from:

click here

Diversion 15:14 09 Dec 05

You may have re-install the drivers for the DVD rom. or maybe they need updating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…