computer not online does it need AV

sgtdibble 20:58 04 May 07

My mate has a laptop that is used only for editing the film he takes with his camcorder it never gets connected to the internet will he be OK without antivirus, spycatcher etc.

bluto1 21:04 04 May 07

No worries when not on line.

Technotiger 21:05 04 May 07

Hi, if it never gets connected, does not need AV etc - however, if any software from any source is added at anytime then AV would be needed, even if not on-line.

sinbads 21:05 04 May 07

viruses can be introduced from cd's or floppies if these are not used then you should be ok

rdave13 21:07 04 May 07

Unless of course you get a pirated video or music CD. Viruses travel in wondrous forms.

Diemmess 21:08 04 May 07

Safe-ish if he never makes any sort of internet connection.

EXCEPT.........and this is very imporatnt

Beware of infected files on any CD or memory stick or floppy or of any data storage device lent by a friend or uncertified source.

This was the way I had my one and only infestation long before I thought of a World Wide Web!

Better safe than sorry!

mocha 21:11 04 May 07

CD's, floppy's, memory stick's, External Harddrives. most things that you plug into your computer can infect it with virus/spyware.

sgtdibble 21:15 04 May 07

Thanks I think I will put AVG on for him the only computer to connect to his is mine and I have AVG, Spybot, Adaware so hopefully he will be OK Thanks to all for the advice I shall tick the resolved box -- >>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced