Computer not detecting second hard drive

weschris 12:11 16 Sep 05

I had a second hard drive installed in an external caddy but found the file transfer very slow so I have installed it internally as a slave to my original hard drive but my computer is not showing it as being there can anyone help

Gongoozler 12:12 16 Sep 05

Is the drive showing in BIOS?

weschris 12:35 16 Sep 05

Could you tell how to find this as I am not very well into the mechanics of computing, I know I have done something like this before but my memory is not what it was.

ACOLYTE 12:45 16 Sep 05

I assume you are running XP if so have you formatted the drive in drive managment.

weschris 12:51 16 Sep 05

Yes, I formatted the drive while in the external caddy

weschris 12:53 16 Sep 05

I have just remembered how to see if it is showing in bios and it isn't.

Gongoozler 13:12 16 Sep 05

If the drive isn't showing in BIOS, then Windows has no chance of seeing it. Depending on your make and model of motherboard, and therefore your BIOS type, you need to enter BIOS setup and set the primary slave drive to Automatic, after that BIOS should recognise the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 16 Sep 05

In the caddy the jumper on the drive has to be set to master.
Now you have it in the PC you neexd to set the jumper to slave, Have you done this?

IPA 14:33 16 Sep 05

Have you initialized the new drive? if not go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management then click on disk management. right click on the new disk and select initialize.

IPA 10:57 18 Sep 05

click here
full instructions here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…