Computer not bootable

Chas49 20:18 14 Jan 08

I have, through my own stupidity, made a complete horlicks of my desktop computer, The kids managed to get a Trojan whilst using MySpace – AVG found it and got rid of it. Since then I have installed a BT Home Hub and this worked OK but I noticed that links on emails within OE6 didn’t work, annoying ,but there other methods of getting the emails. Nevertheless it bugged me and I tried another browser (IE7) to check if it was a firefox problem, I downloaded IE7 and was immediately in trouble. The machine froze solid – only then did I realise what the dialog box had said (an eyesight problem makes it difficult to read these on occasions) – the only thing I could do was to do a warm restart. The loading stopped when it reached the “load from CD” (or words to that effect). I tried the Recovery disk but that was corrupted – returning to the start over and over. Never mind, restore the image made by Acronis only a couple of months ago. I started by loading Windows only - 4 hours later it finished and appeared to be OK. When, later I restarted the computer it stopped where it had done previously. Try again with Acronis – I noticed that now it read the remote folder containing the files as “C:” and, of course I could not copy them to the desktop. It appears that I am stalemated – unless someone knows different.

Help would be appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 14 Jan 08

Do you have a XP CD?

Chas49 21:02 14 Jan 08

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Unfortunely No. Only the Evesham Recovery Disk which is corrupted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 14 Jan 08

1.With a linnux CD or boot disk click here

2. When you're at the command prompt, change into the root directory of the system drive with the cd command (i.e., cd \).

3. Change into the System Volume Information directory by typing cd system~1 on most machines, or cd "System Volume Information."

(The filenames with ~1 are generated by default to provide backwards compatibility with programs that only recognize 8.3-format filenames. It's possible to disable 8.3 filename generation on NTFS volumes to gain some speed, but the speed gained by doing this is generally pretty small and it can have the unintended consequence of making it impossible to use 8.3 filenames in contexts like this. If you can't use 8.3 filenames to navigate, 8.3 name generation might be disabled. See Microsoft's support document called How to Disable the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions.

4. The System Volume Information directory contains a folder name _restore followed by a GUID in curly braces. Change into it by typing cd _resto~1; if that doesn't work you'll have to type cd "_restore{GUID_STRING}", with the full GUID string in place of GUID_STRING.

5. In the _restore directory are a group of subdirectories starting with the letters RP and followed by a number. These are the different restore points available for that volume.

6. Check the date on each directory and look for one that corresponds to a date before you began experiencing problems.

7. Change into the appropriate directory. If the directory is named RP74, for instance, change into it by typing RP74.

8. Inside that directory will be a subdirectory named snapshot; change into that directory as well (cd snapshot)

9. The snapshot directory holds backup copies of the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM Registry hives, named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE and _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, respectively.

10. The target directory for these files is \Windows\System32\Config, and the hives there are named SOFTWARE and SYSTEM. Rather than overwrite those files entirely, you can rename them to something else. Typing ren \windows\system32\config\software \windows\system32\config\software.bak and ren \windows\system32\config\system \windows\system32\config\system.bak will rename them to software.bak and system.bak, respectively.

11. Copy in the backup hives: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software and copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

12. Type exit to leave the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Chas49 22:23 14 Jan 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\

You have gone to a great deal of trouble on my behal - for which I thank you profusely. I have downloaded the ISO file, which, by the way, says it's for Windows XP not Linux - I hope this is correct for I couldn't see Linus mentioned at all.(but then I did mention my eyesight1)If I have the wrong one please let me know.

I shall have a go at this in the morning.

Incidentally, I get the impression that you are more than an amateur - am I correct? Just curious as your reply is so detailed

Chas49 10:28 15 Jan 08

update:

Using a linus disc (ubuntu) I have managed to get the c drive visible and, at this moment,the Acronis restore is putting the c drive data back - it sasys that it will twake two days! Loading from the external drive is very,very slow - I assume this is due to the lack of a d.xriver at this stage(?)

Chas49 10:29 15 Jan 08

er... driver!

Chas49 23:16 16 Jan 08

Well, after waiting until 10.15pm this evening - the restored image didn't work.

The computer booted OK until it got to the part where it either kiaded from Hard Disk or CD Rom accvortding to how you set it up in the bios. Then it said that I had an invalid partition. Going back to the Acronis disk I found that instead of copying the image to c:\ I had in fact copiedd it to c:\Cdrive\ - no wonder it got no further. It is, fingers crossed, now downloading to the correct place.

As you can imagine my fruustration is mounting up - though it could be said that it is all my own fault - which of course is quite right - it is indeed.

Bearing in mind that the machine booted up to where the OS was about to be loaded ('Load from CD' - is this correct?) should this image loading now be a failure too would it be possible to purchase a Vista Home Premium disk and install that? I didn't think I would get used to Vista, as installed on my laptop, but I have, much to my surprise.

Chas49 23:47 16 Jan 08

It was a fai;ore I'm afraod, both images are corrupt too. I've had a look through the Vista adverts and they seem to be upgrades (which I think will not work in this case) - unless someone knows different.

radi8or 07:49 17 Jan 08

Chas49,

Do a search for Vista home premium OEM

HTH

Regards Bob

Demora 08:31 17 Jan 08

Why not totally clean the hdd and then try the Acronis or Evesham disks. click here

At least then the hdd would be like new and nothing to say the other backups are corrupt

Just a shot in the dark.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac