Computer noise on start up

Halmer 18:09 12 Nov 03

My lad's PC makes a load whiring noise upon start up and then disppears (the noise not the PC) after about a couple of mins.

The noise reminds me of the start of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'.

Is this normal?

It is Win 98, Pentium 2 300MGHZ

Rtus 18:26 12 Nov 03

Its possibly the CPU fan Easiest way to check is to place you finger on centre when its running Carefully ,If the noise stops inverst in new Cpu cooler & fan & thermal paste To fit it with .Or you may find the old fan will easily unscrew without disturbing the CPU heatsink clips & replace with new one..Make sure its 3 wire if thats whats fitted originally..

woodchip 18:27 12 Nov 03

More than likely one of the Fans check the CPU first then PSU, as a quick test tack the side cover of the comp when cold and before the first startup of the day, and with finger see how tight the fan is also if it feel rough. Also watch the fan when you boot the computer. CPU fans are a known weak hardware spot as are floppy drives

Rtus 18:28 12 Nov 03

Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'. ??????? wots/ who that then ???

woodchip 18:37 12 Nov 03

You must have jumped the Gun, Any more and your disqualified

A_World_Maker 18:54 12 Nov 03

Try cleaning the blades of the fans.... especially if there are any smokers in the house.. the tar makes dust stick even worse. Just use the vacumn cleaner with the brush attatchment and the computer switched off of course :-)

Halmer 19:29 12 Nov 03

but the noise follows the same path every time I boot it up.

Does the fan kick in at full speed or something and then slow down?

A_World_Maker 19:43 12 Nov 03

its the cheapest route to make a start, and eleminates one potential problem, what have you to loose?

Rtus 19:45 12 Nov 03

No what usually happens is the lubricant supplied with the fan bearing/sleeve,gets into a solid state when cooled and drags the impeller untill its friction creates enough heat to make the lubricant flow then oils the bearing and noise stops.,Its cheap to replace these as standard cooler fan usually around all of £3:99 -£5/£6 do remember to choose to suit CPU type & speed..

Halmer 19:46 12 Nov 03

given my previous experiences with electrics!

Halmer 19:46 12 Nov 03

given my previous experiences with electrics!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…