computer noise

hvs 15:36 15 Jan 03
  hvs 15:36 15 Jan 03

My computer all of a sudden starts making a very irritating loud noise. Could it be the fan which is working overtime? I read the article about the different processors and over heating. I have an AMD K6. I did have an extra 40GB Maxtor hard drive installed. The noise starts with a kind of revving up to a pitch which lasts for a while and then eventually seems to die down! I am worried that if I leave this it could cause a major problem.Your help would be much appreciated.

mark3110 15:44 15 Jan 03

Sounds like it could be your system or power supply fan click here hope it helps.

Regards

Mark

DieSse 15:45 15 Jan 03

Might it be there is CD in the CD-drive?

If it's a fan - the only thing to do is find out which one - by looking and listening with the case cover off.

mark3110 15:46 15 Jan 03

Oh by the way, If it is anything to do with the power supply, dont open it or you could be in for a shock.

MArk

siarad 15:54 15 Jan 03

Put a plastics pen in the back PSU fan to stop it running to see if that's making the noise. If yes it's cheaper to buy a new PSU than fan. If not likewise hold the CPU fan, Video etc.

hvs 18:23 15 Jan 03

thanks for the advice I have printed this out and will try this out tomorrow as I am a bit tied up right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…