computer noise.

beg 17:39 01 Sep 07

Hello. My computer is about 18months old which I bought new, and is working well apart from that the tower has developed a whining noise which is really intrusive. Any idea? Many thanks.

ambra4 17:42 01 Sep 07

Check the CPU fan, case fan, or the power supply fan

Forum Editor 17:48 01 Sep 07

If you do, open it and turn the computer on. You'll probably be able to locate the source of the noise - which will almost certainly be one of the fans.

Turn the machine off, and carefully (if I could underline that word I would) put a finger on each of the fans and gently manipulate the casing. Then turn the computer on again.

The idea is to see if flexing the fan surround has any effect on the sound. If it does, and it disappears, all well and good. If the noise alters slightly you'll know you're on the right track, although the solution may have to be a new fan.

Another possible cause might be the hard drive, and you'll be able to tell when you open the case. In case you don't know, the drive is inside a flat metal casing about the size of a small paperback, and it will have a wide, flat cable (it may be round) running to it from the motherboard. If the drive is whining it may be indicative of a bearing failure, and you should back up your data files as a matter of urgency.

beg 14:55 02 Sep 07

Problem now resolved. Many thanks to you both Cheers. Beg..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…