Computer Networking Project Ideas

Holtymet 16:40 PM 17 Nov 11

Hello,

My name is John, I'm new to PCAdvisor and hope that some of you may be able to guide me to pick an interesting dissertation topic.

I have completed 2 years at university whilst studying Computer Network Technology, I have successfully completed Cisco CCNA1 & CCNA2 giving me a good understanding of the fundamentals of networking.

I have until May to find a project topic that is unique, interesting and hopefully one that will allow me to gain that all important 1:1!

Has anybody any ideas of emerging networking technology that would make for a good project, I'm happy to undertake either a development or research project. I quite enjoy security and wireless networks topics.

Thanks John

mgmcc 17:32 PM 17 Nov 11

If you want something interesting, challenging and about which I know absolutely nothing, you could look into the implications for home users of the introduction of (and switch over to) TCP/IPv6 for internet access. I understand the protocol is already used by Windows 7 for "Homegroup" networking.

Holtymet 21:33 PM 17 Nov 11

Thanks mgm,

Although very interesting the project has been done lots of times by previous classes.

A friend is designing and implementing an ipv6 network with lots of security addons and the project is worth maybe a 2:2! :(

I need something new exciting and that hasnt been done before! :D

John

Forum Editor 11:13 AM 20 Nov 11

mgmcc

IPv6 is indeed used in Windows 7 Homegroup networking, and has caused more than a few problems. Many Windows 7 users have seen 'No internet access' messages when checking into why their laptops keep dropping a wireless connection.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…