computer memory

david196 17:46 07 Apr 04

Please can somebody explain in a non-technical way the different types of RAM eg SRAM. DRAM and the many others abreviations, too numerous to remember. I wish to increase the RAM in my PC from 128MB to something bigger as I have been told this is a good way to improve the performance of my PC.

recap 18:01 07 Apr 04

SDRAM is the slower version of the types of memory you can get these days. DDRAM is around a twice the speed of SDRAM.

If you want to look at a full explanation click here for SDRAM or click here for DDRAM

Eastender 18:05 07 Apr 04

A tip for definitions is, in Google type "define ram" or what ever, (without the quotes).

I'm probably infringing copyright her but SRAM gives:-

Web definitions for SRAM
Static Random Access Memory: a type of memory that is faster and more reliable than the more common DRAM (dynamic RAM). The term static is derived from the fact that it doesn't need to be refreshed like dynamic RAM.
click here

Hope the mighty Google will forgive me.

Eastender 18:07 07 Apr 04

Can't we get a spell checker installed?

Gongoozler 18:26 07 Apr 04

david196, the only thing you really need to know about memory for your computer is what is the right type for your motherboard. If you don't know what motherboard you have, download and run Belarc Advisor click here, or AIDA32 click here. When you know what the moherboard is, go to the Crucial site click here, and you will find what type of memory you need to use.

Just for your interest, RAM is random access memory, that can be written to, or read from. DRAM is dynamic RAM, that only maintains its data by being constantly refreshed (as opposed to static RAM that will maintain its dada as long as power is applied (as in the computer CMOS). SDRAM is DRAM that has the data passing in and out of it synchronised by clock pulses. DDR is similar, but passes data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock pulses. Flash memory such as camera memory and BIOS memory is a different technology where the structure of the memory cells is modified so that the data is not lost when power is removed.

david196 20:40 07 Apr 04

Thanks for the replies and links - very helpful. I would just like to follow up on the comment on BIOS memory. The reply above states that data is not lost when the power is removed. I thought if I took out the little silver battery in my PC, the BIOS data would be lost and I would have to enter the data again. That is why I have been reluctant to renew my battery because I was worried about whether my PC will restart again if the BIOS data has gone. Any further advice on this is most welcome.

Eastender 00:03 08 Apr 04

Removing the battery for a while will just send your BIOS back to it's default settings. You will still still be able to boot up once the battery is replaced.

Gandalph 01:37 08 Apr 04

Need a spellchecker,click here

Gongoozler 14:58 08 Apr 04

Hi david196. Removing the battery clears the volatile CMOS memory that holds the BIOS settings. The non-volatile BIOS memory should only change when you flash update the BIOS, although sometimes it changes when it shouldn't resulting in a checksum error.

Eastender 23:20 08 Apr 04

Thank you for that one, my spelling is much more betterer now. How about a grammar checker :o)

Gandalph 01:27 09 Apr 04

Can't find a grammar checker at the moment. I know what you mean though, reading through the Posts the grammar seems to be going from bederer to worstest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…