COMPUTER MELTDOWN!!!!

pmw14282 15:15 25 Aug 06

Hi,

I am no computer expert by any means, but I think I have been fairly computer competent, up until now that is! My computer is completely ****** at the moment, I seem to have inadvertently crashed it BIGTIME, and I have no idea how to fix the problem. I have a HP PC, thats about 2 years old. The problems all started on Tuesday this week when I received an e-mail from AOL on a free download trial of McAfee virus protection. I currently have Norton Internent Security, but my subscription ran out at the end of last month, and I have been looking to replace it. So I signed up for the offer, and I started to download the McAfee software. It told me that I would need to disable any Firewall software while I was downloading, otherwise it would prevent McAfee from downloading onto my computer properly. So I dod that, and then re-started my machine, which is when all the trouble started. The screen froze, with a message from McAfee saying it had detected a virus. I tried switchng the machine on and off several times but the same problem kept occurring.
I then tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I couldn't get access to it. I then pressed F10 when re-starting my computer to get access to System Restore. When I turned on my computer this message appeared:

"NTLDR IS COMPRESSED.
PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTART"

I ran S.R. several times but it never goes above 67%, even after several hours of runing. I keep getting pop-up messages telling me some files can't be opened, or there is a problem reading them. The other option I was given was Destuctive System Restore, which I'm very wary of. It has a messgae telling me the computer will be re-formatted back to its original factory shipped condition, and all data files will be lost. I'm not too worried about losing Word documents as I have these all backed up on a removable pen drive. Can someone please give me some idea of what I need to do, to get my PC back to some sort of normality.

Thanks

pmw14282

ed-0 15:37 25 Aug 06

If you have every thing you need backed up, then just do the destructive system restore. When windows reloads, take off norton.

You will need to re-install all your settings and programmes.

Then think about using McAffee from AOL.

If you have data you wish to keep. You could either

try a windows repair if HP gave you an OEM disk

or

put the hard drive into another computer to salveage the data you need. Then pop it back into the HP machine and do the destructive restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 25 Aug 06

An NTLDR is compressed error is pretty easy to fix(much better then NTLDR is missing errors!).

First you need to boot to the recovery console.

To boot to the recovery console follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click(or press any key) to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. When prompted type "1" or if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. Now you should be at the comman prompt and ready to repair the ntldr file!

Now all you need to do is enter the following commands(in order) and each command on a new line just like you see them here:

cd attrib -c ntldr
exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…