Computer Management - PCI device error

Parsley 21:28 30 Oct 06

In computer management under Device Manager, I have a yellow question mark next to 'Other Devices'. When I open it there is a problem with a PCI device. If I right click on it then click properties, it reports it has no driver installed. The only clue I have to what this may be is in the general tab which reports it as being - pci bus 0, device 6 function 3! - How do I translate this to find out which item in the computer requires the driver? Thanks.

woodchip 21:34 30 Oct 06

First Desktop or Laptop? What Operating System?

Parsley 21:52 30 Oct 06

Full spec just in case:-
Desktop PC, Windows XP Pro, AMD64 DualCore 4600, MSI K9N SLI Platinum mobo,2GB Crucial DDR2 Memory, Raid 0 Seagate 320GB HD's, Asus 7600GT Graphics, Hiper Modular 580w PSU, Lite On and LG DVD writers.

skidzy 21:59 30 Oct 06

Do you have a sound card or wireless card in the pc ? it could be one of those.

woodchip 22:02 30 Oct 06

Right click the yellow and uninstall it. Restart the computer and when Hardware Wizard pops up check what it finds as to the drivers it is looking for write down the hardware it finds, Then you know what drivers to look for

Parsley 22:16 30 Oct 06

Sorry forgot about the soundcard - SB Audigy 4 - listed and working in computer management.

I have tried uninstalling this unidentified PCI device before, I have just done it again with the same result - After rebooting I get found new hardware ? PCI Device, the hardware wizard starts, I let it check the internet for drivers, does not find any then advised me that the hardware has not been installed and may not work correctly!!

ed-0 22:18 30 Oct 06

Have you installed all the motherboard drivers from the driver disk?

Parsley 22:27 30 Oct 06

All installed except for the onboard sound as its not required. Just had a thought - the mobo was rma'd and no fault found for USB problems. I wonder if I forgot to disable the onboard sound in the bios?! Just going to check.

Parsley 22:35 30 Oct 06

BINGO!! I hadn't disabled the on board sound! What a plonker!!

skidzy 22:39 30 Oct 06

Not a plonker Parsley,easily done im afraid.
Good luck

woodchip 22:43 30 Oct 06

We all do it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5