computer logs itself on to internet

Newuser857 14:19 14 May 03

Could anyone explain please why my computer logs itself onto the internet. I have not as far as I'm aware any logon schedules and the logging on is random. Nothing like an update is triggered and it just stays on the net. I have set the internet to switch off after no activity for five minutes but this quite often does not work. Have I been bugged ? This only started to happen after I got a new (home build)computer with Windows XP. Any help to exorcise this ghost very welcome

fitshase 14:45 14 May 03

It could be Windows Update - look for a globe with the windows flag on it on your system try.

regards

Fitshase

Taurus 15:41 14 May 03

Some of the more unsavoury sites we visit will sometimes put 'net dialers' onto machines without our knowledge. This may or may not be your problem, but I would download a spyware searching software such as:

click here

Newuser857 16:03 14 May 03

Thanks for the advice. We try to stay away from dodgy sites-the only ones we use are genealogy and ex service ones along with general search sites via Copernic. However I take your point - I have got AdAware ready to load . I have also got the Windows Update but how do I stop it logging me on automatically.

Never again 16:15 14 May 03

If you have dial up then just go to your dail up networking folder (usually start, programs, accessories, communications, dial up networking (or start, settings, dial up networking), right click your current ISP connection and select properties.

Then select the security tab and untick connect automatically.

Then everytime you click the internet explorer icon a "connect to" window should appear and then you connect by clicking on the connect button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…