Computer locks up

Newby 12:55 30 Apr 07

My brother in kaw has appealed to me for advise! He has had a computer built for him with Win XP Home installed. It was working fine until recently he had a prpblem with it and it was opened up and rebuilt - working finr! Today, returned from holiday he started looking at emails and when on the Amazon site he hit the right mouse key instead of the left and a window appeared telling him that the computer is locked and to unlock it he has to contact Antec or(his name) or administrator password to unlock it. Being new to co,puters he has his password list on his hard drive! O.K.-I know! I've tried other ppostings on this site but couldn't find a suitable answer. Since the computer has just been rebuilt he has not yet put any system restore points on it. I've not experienced this particular problem before. I suggested that he hold the on/off button long enough to shut it down - which, understandable, he is loath to do. Can you help, please. In the meantime I'm looking at UPGRADING AND REPAIRING pc'S. - but it's a BIG BOOK!

Newby 12:57 30 Apr 07

No I'm not dislectic. Hit some wrong keys!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:02 30 Apr 07

"I suggested that he hold the on/off button long enough to shut it down"

will work ok and is unlikely to cause a problem.

He must have a password to log on when he boots into windows at the welcome screen, this is the paswor he needs.

if no passwrd set and he is the administrator then just press enter.

Newby 14:25 30 Apr 07

Thank you, Fruit Bat /\O/\. My b-in-l rang up the computer builder and they tried everything under the sun and it wouldn't work, so they shut the cpmputer down and sterted it up and it's O.K. We still don't really know what caused the lockup. Thank you very much, again, for your invaluable advice. I said I would get a result from this Helproom. Redeyenewby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple