Computer keeps turning off? Only runs in safe mode

harryandalison 16:36 15 Jul 05

After updating ad-aware and norton virus definitions my cumputer now keeps restarting after only a few seconds. It now only runs in safe mode.
I want to undo the changes I made so I can get back to normal. Any ideas?? All help gratefully received!! Thanks

VoG II 16:55 15 Jul 05

From the boot menu choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

At the > prompt type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter to launch System Restore.

mattyc_92 17:00 15 Jul 05

If WinXP...

A more simple way to do what VoG has said, is just to keep tapping F8 until the options for Safe Mode, Normal Mode, etc... displays.... Select "Use last known congation thats worked" (well, the option is something on those lines)

VoG II 17:27 15 Jul 05

Via e-mail

Thanks for posting your advice. I am running xp home edition. I tried doing as you say but get dialogue box which states "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on system restore, contact your domain administrator." unfortunately that person is me and I need help!

===================================

Please reply using the Add a new response box at the bottom of this page. The yellow envelope is for private messages.

Try mattyc_92's suggestion - the option that you are looking for is 'Last known good configuration'.

mattyc_92 17:30 15 Jul 05

I weren't far off, well I wouldn'y of been if I spelt "configuration" correctly... lol

harryandalison 17:31 15 Jul 05

Sorry guys, Matty's idea didn't work either do you have any other idea's? Thanks

VoG II 17:35 15 Jul 05

You can try a repair installation of Windows (assuming that you have the CD). click here

harryandalison 18:51 15 Jul 05

Sadly no disc.
Bought system as OEM and don't have a proper disc.

mattyc_92 18:54 15 Jul 05

You can lend one of your friends installation disks if you wish, but you are not allowed to copy it and your friend shouldn't include his/her key code. You just need the disk.

As long as the installation disk is for WinXP Home Edition, all should be fine.

woodchip 18:56 15 Jul 05

You are having one Hell of a Day

VoG II 18:59 15 Jul 05

Right. I think the next thing to try is the System File Checker. Ordinarily this would ask for the Windows CD. However it is possible to change this to look for the files in your i386 or servicepacks folder. Here are the instructions click here

The alternative is to borrow somebody's XP CD - SFC does nor seem to care which CD is used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…