Computer keeps switching off

fourks 17:25 13 Jul 07

I apologise in advance if this subject has been covered many times before.

I have a problem with my computer turning off, it always seems to happen either when I am uploading to my website or editing images in photoshop.

I am thinking along the lines of an overheating problem, but which items and what is the remedy (I have already opened it up and cleaned the dust out but it makes little difference)

Thanks for any advice, its greatly appreciated.

brundle 17:27 13 Jul 07

Can you provide more information? Your processor type (click here if you're not sure) is very important in determining if you have an overheating problem. More system information can be found by downloading and running Everest; click here

fourks 17:40 13 Jul 07

I have downloaded Everest this is what it says:-

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2250 MHz (13.5 x 167) 2800+

Thanks

Stuart 510 17:48 13 Jul 07

I had a similar thing a few months ago when I connected my digital camera and downloaded images. Turned out to be a duff USB port in the case, may be worth a look.

Ashrich 18:19 13 Jul 07

If it is actually switching off then the PSU may well be dodgy , overheating usually results in the PC freezing , also , I would try checking your PC's memory with something like memtest , click here to download .

Ashley

umbongo(uk) 02:15 14 Jul 07

when you say turns off do you mean shuts itself down but you can still hear it or just goes to no power like you,d switched it off at the socket

fourks 14:34 14 Jul 07

Turns off completely, it will not come back on until I switch it off and back on again with the switch on the back of the tower.

umbongo(uk) 18:08 14 Jul 07

sound,s like psu is on its way out

some things to try to see if it is the power brick
REMEMBER UNPLUG THE KETTLE LEAD TO THE POWER SUPPLY BEFORE DOING THE BELOW AND TOUCH THE METAL SIDE OF THE CASE TO DISCHARGE ANY STATIC ELETRICITY YOU MAY HAVE THEN PROCEED

only have your motherboard connector plugged in ie the one that plug directly into the board
unplug all drives except hard disk drive

only have 1 stick of ram seated

check that all components on the board are seated
so push grfx card a bit and wiggle the cpu heat sink

you may have to press f1 to continue booting as it will say floppy drive disconected

now try what you were doing before when u power up
photo etc

if its working start plugging your extra ram in first retry then programs you were using to see that it isnt powering down
then continue adding your drives and retrying programs again
floppy first then cdrom units

REMEMBER TO POWER OF ON EACH PLUG IN AND REMOVE THE KETTLE LEAD TO BE SAFE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac