computer keeps shutting down and restarting

Jacqs 11:37 13 Dec 03

I could be playing a game, be typing an email or looking at the motion detector on the webcam, the computer just shuts down and restarts over and over again. Evesham say there is nothing wrong, I have had an electrician to test the wirng in the house; used another power lead and plugged the computer into a different socket, none of which makes any difference, I also have a surge protector. Generally I here a click in the computer before it shuts down, also often get jerky movement and computer freezes when playing games.Windows Me operating system and no other support from warranty with Evesham as yet.

GrimNir 11:40 13 Dec 03

You need to go here click here
and follow the instructions.

Diodorus Siculus 11:40 13 Dec 03

How long has this been happening?

Had there been any changes made to the setup immediately before this became manifest?

Do you get any error messages?

Is it when the PC has been running for a period of time?

Jacqs 12:44 13 Dec 03

The shutting down and restarting began in July, the Evesham engineer said the cPu was hot but the problem could be video card. But they took it back to base and said they could find nothing.
Error messages when using beetle junior game OE:017F:BFF8E64B invalid page fault in kernel 32.dll at 017F:bff619e3.
Windows errors VWIN32(05)+00000a2D ERROR OE:0028:C02a3C05.

Games often jerky, have to re-install windows from scratch but still video action often (not always) jerky movement.

Shuts down when idle too.

Installed HP mutifunction printer HPofficejet 1150c, cant remember if problem was already occuring before installation.

Diodorus Siculus 14:06 13 Dec 03

Try this:

go to start, run

and type

sfc /scannow

That should check your system files for any problems.

Type it as it is above: sfc followed by a space followed by a forward slash, followed by the word scannow.

Big Elf 14:18 13 Dec 03

Also see click here;en-us;190915 which mentions a utility called 'Desktop Management Interface (DMI) Start' which can generate one of the error messages you posted.

VoG II 14:21 13 Dec 03

You mean click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 13 Dec 03

http:// support.;en-us;190915

Copy and paste into browser; then remove spaces and press enter key.

Big Elf 14:25 13 Dec 03

Thanks VoG. I read your post on the MS links subject after I'd posted. Consider my wrist slapped.

Jacqs 16:10 13 Dec 03

Still not getting anywhere yet, sfc could not be found. Website link was for windows 98, I have ME unfortunately. But thanks for the tip I am searching for updates and further help on the addresses you both supplied. Will let you know if I get any joy, trouble is computer keeps shutting down so it takes forever.

Big Elf 17:47 13 Dec 03

You need to put the Windows ME installation disk in the drive for 'scannow' to work.

I would also suggest updating your graphics card driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…