Computer keeps shutting down and rebooting

BRYNIT 20:19 11 Feb 11

HP P6320 computer keeps shutting down and rebooting.

Purchase from an auction a few day ago.

Specs: Intel i5 cpu, 6GB Ram, 1GB ATI graphics card, no hard drive. Everything looks clean apart from a bit of dust on the fans.

I have installed a 1TB hard drive, Windows 7 home premium using the sticker from the side to activate and all updates.

The problem is after a while it shut down and rebooted.

I’ve used the HP diagnostic tool from the boot menu, this shows that everything is working OK. I’ve used BurnIn test trial program on the highest setting and this showed no errors.

As soon as I use something like CS5 I have problems.

It could be overheating but nothing feels hot or even warm.

So the question is. Has anyone any suggestion on what they would consider to be the problem?
What would you look at first?
What programs I could down load and run that might indicate the cause of this problem.
Any known fault was found with the model.

All suggestions welcome.

birdface 20:34 11 Feb 11

Wild guess faulty ram.
Maybe try the ram 1 stick at a time.
I dont suppose it could be drivers needing updated or a faulty power supply.

BRYNIT 20:51 11 Feb 11

Good suggestion.

I've downloaded Memtest and will test each memory stick.

bgrave 22:15 11 Feb 11

This happend to me; it might happen 3 times a day or once a week. When it happened I tested the PSU and it was ok. It was not untill it shut down re-started and failed to complete the boot process before shutting down again;(doing this in a loop)this time when I tested the PSU it showed up as faulty. I replaced the PSU and it is now ok.

rdave13 22:25 11 Feb 11

Another thing to check is the sata connections between hdd and motherboard. Try changing cable with one that has a latching lock.
Example only; click here
Might be just a bad connection.

BRYNIT 22:25 11 Feb 11

bgrave

Thank you your input. I will consider the possibility of PSU when all other options have been looked at.

buteman

Ram seams to be OK. I tested the ram stick one at a time with no faults found.

Any more suggestions welcomed

BRYNIT 22:29 11 Feb 11

rdave13

Thanks for the suggestion. SATA cables are OK they already have lacking locks and I have swopped the SATA cables over with the one from the DVD drive.

rdave13 22:35 11 Feb 11

Then I'd work through all the connectors making sure all are sound. If still the same then PSU would seem likely.

User-312386 07:58 12 Feb 11

I would try going into the BIOS and check the temperatures, stay in the BIOS for and hour and see if the temperatures rise. If they do, take the side of the case off and see what happens.

Terry Brown 09:02 12 Feb 11

On your post, you say ' Apart from a little dust on the fans'.

From that remark I would guess that there is alot more 'dust' in the heatsink.

I suggest carefully remove the fan, use something like a plastic cocktail stick to remove the bulk of any dust and then blow it out with a can of compressed air.

The reason it was sold at auction may have been because of the fault !..

Terry

BRYNIT 14:02 12 Feb 11

Thank you for your suggestions.

The good and the bad.

The fault seems to be due to a corupt chipset driver a reinstall rectified the boot problem however, this created another problem with the fans contiually running on high speed.

To rectify this there was a Bios upgrade. (bad idea)

This seems to have corupted the bios preventing the computer to boot into windows or even allow a clean install.

I have emailed HP to see if they can put any light onto the subject so will close this thread for the time being.

Thank you for your assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5