computer keeps shutting down

lignum vitae 08:34 08 Nov 05

Can anyone help with the following problem I am having. My computer has worked faultlessly for the past two years. Recently I have changed to a Net gear 834gt router and also changed my monitor to a tfc.The only change I have made to my system is to uninstall the eprompter programme.
The computer now suddenly shuts down completely and can only be restarted by switching the power on and off several times at the wall this can happen at anytime sometimes the computer will run for an hour before shutting down. at re start up I get the message that eprompter has experienced a problem and needs to close and the option to advise Microsoft. This despite the fact that the programme has been uninstalled. I can find no trace of it still on the system.
I eliminated the router by switching back to my original modem and also with the tfc by switching to my original monitor.
I employed the services of a gentleman who described himself as a computer systems consultant recently who was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I knew more than him and I don’t know much. If anyone can shed any light I would be deli

Diodorus Siculus 08:54 08 Nov 05

Have you tried the system file checker?

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker).

Also, try a repair of IE click here
How to run the Microsoft Internet Explorer Repair Tool

Finally, a repair install of XP may help: click here
XP Recovery Console

lignum vitae 12:59 09 Nov 05

unfortunately I don't have the win xp cd rom as it came preinstalled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…