computer keeps shuting down and restarting

2020 18:39 29 Aug 04

hi my nephews computer [running windows xp]keeps closing down as soon as it has loaded up. upon starting it runs scan disc when this complets the windows start up begins and when the user page presents the system shuts down and will continue in this cycle untill it is switched off.
unfortunatly i can't get the history to what happened before this as my nephew is out of contact at the moment. sister said he told her it had a viris but don't know if this is case.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 18:47 29 Aug 04

Are these the symptoms? click here

Has it had XP2 put on.

Will it Start in Safe Mode click here or using Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu?

2020 19:02 29 Aug 04

VoG - the windows xp log on appers but then shuts down at once. not sure what xp2 is? have not been given option to do anything including safe mode but i will try out the info you have directed me to when i visit his house tomorrow.
many thanks, i know its not easy to answer with such limited information.

2020 19:40 29 Aug 04

VoG don't know anything about that but my guess is he hasn't got it

VoG II 20:03 29 Aug 04

I suggest that you download Stinger click here onto a floppy and take it with you. If you can get into Safe Mode try running that first. Lock the write tab on the floppy disk before using.

2020 21:35 29 Aug 04

thanks VoG i'll try that and if need be i can always come back with updated information.
many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…