Computer keeps restarting

s99Raj 18:04 30 Jan 06

A computer (with XP Home on it) I have just keeps restarting. On startup I get the message sometihng like "We apologise but...blah, blah, blah" and i get various options to choose from such as Safe Mode, Last Known Working Configuration, etc. No matter which of these I choose the computer just restarts and takes me back to this same screen.

I've been into the BIOS and loaded the Fail-Safe options but that hasn't cured it. I can startup from the XP CD but I don't want to do a format etc. or to lose any info on the hard drive.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers.

GrahamP 18:17 30 Jan 06

Sounds like Windows is stuffed and possibly your hard disk. If you have a recovery disc, use that to restore Windows and all it's programs. Otherwise use your Windows disk to do a Repair install.

s99Raj 18:27 30 Jan 06

I've tried the Repair option and even that doesn't work. Maybe I'll try loading Windows on top of what's already there and see.

lpl56407 18:50 30 Jan 06

I cannot remember which one but this sounds very much like a virus. Not much help, I know, but may jog someone's memory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 30 Jan 06

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

s99Raj 19:03 30 Jan 06

Actually FruitBat, I tried that but even after pressing Enter (to reinstall Windows) at Step 3 above the computer just stopped dead saying it was looking for an atapi drive.

Does this mean the hard drive is stuffed?

Rob101 21:16 30 Jan 06

Try the following link. It relates to an infinite loop on boot up and is associated with the Atapi drivers. It worked for me but not sure if your problem is the same.
Good luck

click here

Cam-330894 21:25 30 Jan 06

I have recently had a similar problem with a Imedia machine. The problem is still not resolved.

PC Bilbo 23:03 30 Jan 06

If your security isn't up to date the W.32 Sasser worm can cause these symptoms.There is a removal tool on Symantec's site.

Try this to see if it will stop Windows shutting down. click here

Things are not sounding too good. Either your drive is going down, or it has a virus.

If your hard drive has important files on it that you want to keep, I would fit a different had drive to the PC as master (disconnect the original one) install windows on to it. Then change the Jumper setting on your old hard drive to slave and reconnect. You would be booting into the new hard drive, and should be able to copy the files accross from the old one.

Once backed up, you should be able to work on the original hard without fear of lsoing your data. Most big hard drive companies have diagnostic software you can download to test drives. Maxtor (Powermax) and Seagate etc. Depending on the make of drive, download the relevant utility to test the original drive.

s99Raj 18:13 31 Jan 06

I'm pretty sure the hard drive is stuffed. I attached as a Slave it (the computer) refuses to even go into Windows - until I remove it and use the Master as normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant