Computer keeps looking for Scanner

shaduf 20:23 06 Feb 04

Sometime ago I installed a Visioneer 9020 scanner using USB2 on XP computer. Worked OK but not required everyday so put scanner away in the cupboard until required.
Since then, everytime I boot up I have to wait ages for it to look for the scanner and tell me it can't find it. It does this three or four times a night if I plug in an external hard drive or camera etc. Always seems to have to look for a scanner first. I keep shouting at it - the scanners in the sodding cupboard but it doesn't listen.
How do I tell the computer to forget I've got a scanner until I want it?
Thanks in anticipation.

Gemma 20:38 06 Feb 04

This might fix it. In the system tray is an icon (left green arrow and a blob). Double click it and remove the scanner using the window provided. The behaviour of this changes depending on what's plugged in at the time.

Seadog 21:00 06 Feb 04

I have the Visioneer 8920 One Touch scanner and, as I don't use it that often and so the lamp does not burn out or whatever I leave it switched off. The same as shaduf, whenever I put a cd or dvd in a drive or connect a digital camera the ******* computer still tries to connect with the scanner and then reports that it is "unable to connect with scanner" The disc I have inserted is then run - ONLY after it has searched for the scanner.
Any help, anybody....................................?

shaduf 21:02 06 Feb 04

Thanks for the response Gemma but no good.
The scanner icon is a picture of a scanner with a red cross through it. Options are Connect, Configure and Close. Have closed it, Icon has gone from system tray so I'll see what happens but suspect (Like Arnie) "It'll be back".

Chegs ? 21:13 06 Feb 04

Windows Image Aquisition,Start/Settings/Admin Tools/Services,Right Click the WIA and select properties,set it to Disabled if you plan on leaving scanner in a ******* cupboard. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…