computer keeps freezing

AB's 19:55 25 Jan 07

i have a nokia comp with
512RAM
1300 processor
XP Pro sp2
It has been running fine untill a few days ago when it began freezing up for no [apparent] reason tried doing system restore but that has made no difference, done full cleans with spybot, adaware & avg free, but they have only found low risk rubbish, tried defragin, registry cleans but that has made no difference either. there is no warning sometimes it will freeze after a few, or a couple of hours, sometimes after only a few minutes.
Im baffled, any ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 25 Jan 07

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Totally-braindead 20:04 25 Jan 07

I'm not saying that this the cause of your problem but one of the most common causes is overheating.
Check your fans are all working, give them a clean, brush out any fluff etc with a brand new clean paint brush being careful to earth yourself first to the radiator or sink or whatever first and watch you don't knock any cables out.

sinbads 21:32 25 Jan 07

I would first look in the event veiwer could give you an idea of whats causing your freezing

AB's 20:09 27 Jan 07

i cant remember exact times of the freeze ups but there are quite a few error listings it shows

Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 1512
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_FAILED_HIVE_UNLOAD
Message: Windows cannot unload your registry file. The memory used by the registry has not been freed. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. If this problem persists, contact your administrator.

DETAIL - %1

You can download the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean) tool from the Microsoft Download Center Web site.

however you need a genuine copy of windows to download it and mine isnt, and the shop i bought my comp of shut down 18mths ago !

mymate 20:21 27 Jan 07

click here

Is this any good to you ?

AB's 20:35 27 Jan 07

ok mymate thanx, ive installed it now ill just have to wait and see if it makes any difference, comp hasnt frozen for a good few hours so its about due :-)

AB's 13:50 28 Jan 07

I think i found the answer, when i got up this morning my comp had switched off,[Inever turn it off] it wouldnt restart so i turned it off at the mains left it a few minutes then turned it back on, it restarted but came up saying cpu fan speed very low, and wouldnt start, i took the current fan out and put another bigger fan in restarted it it started straight away, and god willing it seems to be ok at the moment. ill see what happens now but hopefully thats the problem.
we'll see, thanks for all the advice.

mymate 14:55 28 Jan 07

Thats good news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced