computer keeps booting

john-251419 20:10 18 Dec 04

Hi, thanks to all who contributed to my last post. new problem, my friend suffered a power cut, when the juice came back on his pc wont start, it gets to the win xp splash screen and then reboots, there is a flash of blue screen but it is only for a millisecond and impossible to read. it wont even start in safe mode, or last known config. i tried a new power supply, and removed the ram and cleaned it,i disconnected the cd rom but nothing worked.
any help would be appreciated.
regards
renegade

Cuddles 20:18 18 Dec 04

I would say you friend will need a new bios chip.
It is always worth plugging your pc and components into a anti power surge strip, that will protect you against spikes.

gudgulf 20:54 18 Dec 04

Sounds more like a problem with windows....Does your friend have a full version of XP?.If so booting from the cd and trying a repair install might be a good idea.

In order to check that the bios is ok press the delete key as the pc first starts up to get into the bios set up.If you can do that the bios is working.Also are you geting any beeps on start up,if so what?.

Graham ® 20:58 18 Dec 04

Any clues in Event Viewer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 18 Dec 04

Agree with Gudgulf if reaching XP splash screen then BIOS OK probably a windows driver corrupted.

Boot from the XP CD carry on as if to install XP Press R to repair at the first screen.

VoG II 22:01 18 Dec 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…