computer jerking at regular intervals

A few days ago, my computer completely froze. I had to reset and since then it has never been the same.

At an interval of something like every 1 second, the computer will freeze for a very short time, which is most noticeable by jerky movements of the mouse. It is not just the mouse as typing this is also doing it as well as when playing music etc.

There have been some times since I restarted the computer that it has not happened and has run fine but now it seems to be happening every time I use it.

I've run adaware and got rid of all spyware, ran chkdsk which found some problems and fixed them and I have now just done a disk defragment which seems to have had no effect on the problem either.

It looks my next option is to format, but I would like to avoid this if possible.

Also could this be due to a hardware fault?

My computer is a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 384MB PC2100 RAM, 60GB hard drive and a 64MB MX440 graphics card.

Many Thanks

ACOLYTE 13:59 02 Jan 05

"I've run ad-aware and got rid of all spy-ware, ran chkdsk which found some problems and fixed them"

It would seem that you have removed things that had other dependencies with the spy-ware you deleted and something may still be lurking in the depths looking for what you have deleted,You could try looking in msconfig for things related to what you deleted and disabling them.Also if the system had errors this may be because you deleted some not all the spy-ware.Of course it may not be this,its just an opinion.

Technotiger 14:00 02 Jan 05

Hi, I know you say it is 'not just the mouse' but I would still give the mouse a thorough check - if it is a ball mouse, maybe a good cleanout of the rollers inside; if a cordless mouse replace batt's. I had a similar problem a while ago, my cordless mouse was the cause - changed mouse, no more probs. Cheers.

john-232317 14:09 02 Jan 05

Why not open up and check the cards, cables and memory are seated correctly.

I ran adaware after the jerking started and I don't think i ran it immeaditly before the crash. I've had a look in msconfig and disabled what wasn't needed but that had no effect either.

Technotiger, I doubled checked its not the mouse by just playin a song and that also freezes at exactly the same intervals. It's a laser mouse so it wont be affected by the dust as much and the battery indicator shows the battery is almost full

dadyassa, I shall do what you say now and also try and get rid of some of the dust

Thanks for the suggestions

Dorsai 14:46 02 Jan 05

Is the 'jerking' accompanied by lots of HDD activity? Are there any unusual 'clicking' noises from the HDD?

Just a thought.

2neat 14:59 02 Jan 05

clear out all temp files and run defrag. Check size of windoze swap file. What os are you using?

I've just opened up the computer and done as dadyassa said and it seems to be working fine now although it has done this before (ie. worked fine most of yesterday) so fingers crossed.

Dorsai, I haven't heard any clicking noises but my computer fan is quite loud. However, when it has been jerking, I have noticed constant hard drive activity (and I feared it's what you are thinking).

2neat, I'm running XP home. Is the windows swap file the virtual memory? If it is, it is set as initial size: 384MB and maximum size: 768MB. I've allready run the defrag and it had no effect. I shall delete temp files now.

Fingers crossed it's going to stay like it is now anyway.

Thanks a lot guys.

(I'm not going to tick it off yet incase it starts happening again)

so it seems safe to assume it has been solved.

Thanks very much guys, I knew I could rely upon yous :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…