Computer hidden on Peer to Peer network

Fancy Skater 14:29 01 Apr 04

We have a small peer-to-peer network of machines using WinXP Pro. The latest machine added remains hidden even though it has an IP address assigned and can be pinged from other machines.
The machine does not even show up on the list of networked computers.

Any ideas? All the network connections have identical settings to the others except for the IP address of course.

Diodorus Siculus 07:48 02 Apr 04

Bump....

and a thought? Is there any sort of firewall on it, even the XP firewall?

Fancy Skater 08:17 02 Apr 04

I have a hardware firewall between the router and the network but not within the network. The WinXP firewall is not activated.

Fancy Skater 16:37 02 Apr 04

I've just discovered that if I enter the computer name in the address bar of Win Explorer as \\Name , the computer suddenly appears in the Left Hand folders bar (but not in the Right Hand list of networked computers)!

I have been able to map particular directories from this to enable the backup program to access them.

But this does seem to be a bit of a bodge rather than a solution.

Fancy Skater 15:48 09 Apr 04

I renamed the computer and the problem disappeared. When I tried renaming it back to the original name HOST I had the same problem again. Perhaps HOST is a reserved name that shouldn't be used???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…