Computer hangs since installing TW-Link USB dongle

Awestruck 12:19 25 Feb 08

Problem: 12th Feb. Had great difficulty installing TP-Link USB wireless adapter. Installation stopped half way at
each attempt and would not continue.
13th Feb tried to install TP-Link again without success.
14th Feb, Finally got the install process to run to the end and obtained a wireless link.
Now the computer hangs in any program and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work.
Have to press restart button on tower.

Event Viewer results. Problem started 12th Feb.
Warnings (yellow triangle) Userenv
Windows saved user USER-3NSSWORTP4\User registry while an application or service was still using the registry
during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is
no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the
LocalService or NetworkService account.

Same warnings continued from 13th to present day.
Also following warnings Userenv
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be
unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Red errors first appeared 14th Feb Crypt32 After successful install of TP-Link
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from:
click here> with error:
403 (HTTP Response Status)

Red errors appeared frequently up to present day.

When an application hangs the following typical red error messages appear.

Faulting application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault
address 0x00011458.

Hanging application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address
0x00000000.

Later some other red application errors occur such as:
Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault
address 0x0001295d.

Faulting application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module msoe.dll, version 6.0.2900.3138, fault
address 0x00054738.

And once only : Hanging application avginet.exe, version 7.5.0.504, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang
address 0x00000000.

brundle 12:32 25 Feb 08

Desktop or laptop?
USB port on the machine or hub, if on a hub is it a powered or passive hub, USB 1.1 or v2.0? Other USB devices connected? The first few eventviewer errors are common on all systems, the others are the result of problems and not very helpful in tracking the origin down.

Awestruck 11:44 26 Feb 08

Thanks for your prompt reply Brundle.
USB ports are on a USB2 card in a PCI slot.
Awestruck

Awestruck 20:05 27 Feb 08

Sorry Brundle, I only gave half an answer. The machine is a Desktop using XP with SP2

Regards
Awestruck

brundle 23:06 27 Feb 08

That's the ideal setup in terms of hardware - no problems with any other devices in that PCI card?

Check at the manufacturer's website for any updates to the driver.

Try the device for a while with the card to itself as it were, unplug everything else and use on-board ports if available. Probably inconvenient but it will help to determine whether the device is conflicting with your PC itself or one of your other devices.

brundle 23:07 27 Feb 08

TPLink site; click here

woodchip 23:15 27 Feb 08

Can you try it in a Motherboard USB socket

postie24 15:07 28 Feb 08

Download and run this
click here

That will cure the problem showing in event viewer

Awestruck 17:48 28 Feb 08

Thank you for all your advice. I will try each one where appropriate. Postie 24, I looked up the link provided but that deals with User profiles not closing the registry properly. I am the only user and I do not log in or out. My problem is different, it is occasional hang ups which do not respond to Ctl-Alt-Del so that I cannot detect the culprit.

Many thanks

Awestruck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac