Computer hangs during booting

Kudu 09:24 18 Mar 03

Computer checks the memory during booting then stops at Detecting IDE drives.I had just put in a new PCI card but removed it when this happened.

I have checked all the connections in case i had disturbed something and everything seems fine.Can't get into Bios to check drive info.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

DieSse 10:11 18 Mar 03

Actally take the connections off - then put them back on again.

When you put in the PCI card - did you unplug or otherwise disconnect the system from mains power - if you don't there is always power on the motherboard in ATX type systems.

bines 10:16 18 Mar 03

I have exactly the same problem and am waiting for the manufacturer to come and fix it.

Mine never switches on the monitor either, it just hangs at the start of the sequence and never gets that far.

I find that it will always boot correctly if I either disconnect the mains supply then reconnect, or simply push the reset button.

Also if I always leave the computer connected to the mains supply, just turning it off via Windows, it always boots normally.

I will be watching any other replies in case I can pick up any hints as well!

Bines

Kudu 10:38 18 Mar 03

Well so far i have removed both hard drives and ran them outside case to check for vibration to make sure they were running.They were both running and the computer booted ok.

I have installed them again and the computer is hanging at bootup once more.Will have to keep checking for reason.

Kudu 11:59 18 Mar 03

Changed ribbon cable on the hard drives but no difference so checked the 4 drives one by one and discovered my DVD-RW drive is faulty and when it is disconnected the system boots normally.

This is a new drive and has been giving me trouble for two weeks and i thought the large pile of coasters that i made was because i was doing something wrong.I'm glad now the computer wouldn't boot as its shown the drive and not me has a problem.

DieSse 12:26 18 Mar 03

Well done - nice logical troubleshooting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…