Computer Hangs After 1HR

jimmyflood 09:54 29 Nov 06

Recently I have noticed that i cannot open any files on my PC after it has sat idle for approx 1hr. The computer doesn't crash, I can still move the cursor, however when i click on any icon or the start menu, It won't open. I have recently installed IE7 and AVG anti-malware from last month's cover disc, This installed alongside Norton Antivirus. The other change I have noticed is that I now have a dial up connection which tries to connect onto my broadband every time I re-boot(This has a Google Gadjet icon in the Toolbar). This may not be connected to the problem, but it never happened before. I have run spybot,ad-aware,norton antivirus,Windows Livecare scanner,Bitdefender Online Scanner,Bitdefender Rootkit scanner and nothing shows. This is preventing me from running my daily scheduled scans for Windows Defender, Norton Antivirus, which run through the night. Any advice would be appreciated!

skidzy 16:41 29 Nov 06

Try disabling everything in MSCONFIG except your AV and Firewall and reboot.
Work with your system for the hour and see if this carries on.
If the problem seems to have gone,go back to MSCONFIG and add one tick at a time and ok,go through the list of startup programs one by one to till you get what maybe a conflict somewhere...this may identify the problem.

Start/Run/type MSCONFIG/select startup

Alternatively try the system file checker
sfc /scannow ( note the space / )

Understanding sfc click here

jimmyflood 09:26 30 Nov 06

Skidzy.
Thanks for you input. I have removed AVG 7.5 and my computer ran all scans correctly through the night. I have ran a bitdefender online scan and it picked up a trojan (VB.YG)in a system volume file. Hopefully my frustration will now be over.
Thanks for you quick response on this matter.

skidzy 18:49 30 Nov 06

Jimmy i find it hard to believe AVG would cause this problem unless it has become corrupted.However if your system is running ok without AVG,maybe consider another AV like Avast.

Make sure you have some protection,why AVG didnt pick up the Trojan...i dont know,maybe its a new variant of something else.

Good luck with the pc,and any more problems...let us know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5