Computer hangs for 300seconds BEFORE winows starts

Greenfingers5 12:11 01 Jan 08

When I start my PC it goes through the usual checks of the disks etc and then hangs for 5 mins before accessing HDD to load windows. It does it whichever HDD I use and also the CD ROM too. Any suggestions?

howard64 12:17 01 Jan 08

have you looked in start - msconfig - startup and looked for something nasty starting up before normal operation? I vaguely remember there is a way of slowing windows starting when a drive is slow starting. This is a registry change and something could have put a 300 delay in that. You would possibly find this by putting slow starting into google.

Greenfingers5 12:29 01 Jan 08

Thanks for the advice
Had a look and there seems to be nothing untoward in the startup but in the boot.ini tab there is a timeout of 30 seconds only.
e.g.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
etc...

howard64 12:40 01 Jan 08

just found this in google it might be it.
Your slow startup could be the result of an error in the Windows XP registry. It's a result of the *.*avi property handler, and has
something to do with having large avi files, like divx movies on your system.
Here's how to fix it: Go to: start/run
Type in regedit, hit <enter> Go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/SystemFileAssociations/.avi/shellex/PropertyHandler
Click on the value in the right frame and hit <delete>
If the system asks you if you're ok with deleting the value, confirm with yes
Exit the registry

ambra4 12:50 01 Jan 08

Once windows come up do a complete clean up of the hard drive remove temporary files, fix and clean the registry, defrag the hard drive, scan the hard drive using any spyware program you have installed

Look at the amount of programs starting up and remove those that is not needed on start up

Up date you Anti-virus program

The programs that I use to keep my computer running at top speed

TuneUp Utilities 2007

click here

Diskeeper

click here

Registry Fix

click here

Start up Control Panel

click here

Advanced Windows Care Personal 100% Freeware

click here

Maintenance on the computer is very importance most users only do this when they have problems one should run maintenance once a month

Just think of your computer as a car would you run your car for years with out maintaining it

paul€ 12:54 01 Jan 08

is not doing an extended memory check.

paul€ 12:59 01 Jan 08

Some times know as quick boot or fast boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5