Computer Hanging After Boot Up

Supertramp 08:49 12 Dec 08

Hi All

I hope someone can help with my problem. All was well until last week but I have now problems after boot up. I am running XP home and after booting up my PC hangs once the wallpaper and desktop icons appear for around 2-3mins. There is some HD activity but if I click on say the IE icon nothing happens until 2-3min when the drive suddenly seems to wake up.

So far I have carried out full Anti-Virus scans, spyware, unchecked start up programmes, finally this morning I carried out an XP repair hoping this would finally cure the problem, but after booting the problem still remains. Can any of you experts out there let me know how to fix this irritating problem.

Thanks

birdface 09:00 12 Dec 08

If an oldish computer make sure the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning as well.you could try this.click here it will make sure all your drivers are up to date.In device manager.Click on the IDE Atapi controllers and make sure they are set to DMA and not PIO.Check the primary and secondary in advanced settings.Just filling in until someone can give you the help that you need.

Technotiger 09:05 12 Dec 08

If you have Indexing running, turning it off may speed up things a bit ...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced