Computer Gone Wild!! Help!!

steerstuffer 05:13 09 Nov 08

I have a Dell 8400 running xp media center. Last week the computer started getting so bad with locking up, partial windows showing or staying up after closing them, not being able to access hotmail accounts. I could access msn but not my hotmail. My daughter could. I downloaded all needed windows updates, norton antivirus def. and did a virus scan through many different free sites and all came up clean. I downloaded spybot and still it was clean. It got so bad I couldn't go anywhere on the internet without it freezing up, or partial screens being stuck. I would have to use central/alt/delete to get out of programs or web pages but that didn't even help. I just pushed the button to get the machine off. So yesterday I did a pc restore. I have since downloaded every update possible again. It worked great this morning and could get into hotmail. Now this afternoon I am back at square one with freezing, no hotmail access and partial screens. What the heck is going on and what else can I try. I am about ready to junk it. Any info would be great. Thanks

birdface 08:17 09 Nov 08

Maybe overheating,Make sure the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside may need cleaning as well.Open it up and make sure all the fans are working.Ok.Has it been keeping good time.Just things to look at until someone can give you the help that you need.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 09 Nov 08

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

steerstuffer 04:07 10 Nov 08

I always keep the inside of the computer very clean. I started uninstalling each program one at a time and after I uninstalled one the problems seem to be fixed. It is called surfboost. My ISP provider has it because we have a dial-up account and it is suppose to make it faster. I have had it for over 6 months so why now would it make my computer go wild now. I haven't reinstalled it for fear it will go crazy again. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017