COMPUTER GETTING SLOWER AND SLOWER

281apple 07:10 28 Feb 07

Hi, My computer is slowing down more and more. Is there a checklist of what to do to make it go faster. Any suggestions? It is an HP desktop, 3 years old processor 2.2, RAM 512. Was overhaulded by a professional last November. Worked OK til about two weeks ago. All suggestions are welcome.

crosstrainer 07:21 28 Feb 07

Windows comes with several utlities built in...go to start>programs>accessories>system tools> disk cleanup...run this one first.

Then go to the same place but choose disk defragmenter..choose your c drive and run this..then post back an let us know if any improvement (if these have not been run, it could take a while..

281apple 07:30 28 Feb 07

I did what you suggested yesterday. I also removed all icons from the monitor except shortcuts. There was a slight improvement yesterday but again this morning it seems to be slow again. Other ideas?

crosstrainer 07:35 28 Feb 07

This will take some time...I assume you have up to date antivirus and antispyware installed? Assuming you do, open my computer, right click on your C drive icon choose properties>tools, dialog box will open choose error checking, tick both scan drive for errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad clusters...the computer will not perform these actions until it is re-started, and this will take a fair amount of time..if errors are found the report at the end will let you know..other possible causes, could be virus, spyware or a failing HDD is it noisy?

281apple 07:44 28 Feb 07

Firstly, the computer makes no noise.

Antivirus and antispyware is installed. I use Kaspersky and up to now am satisfied with it.

I'll check our c tonight cause I don't have too much time now. Thanks.

crosstrainer 07:47 28 Feb 07

When you have run those tonight..post back and let us know what happens...I am an early riser, and reside in my homeland of Wales.

p;3 14:26 28 Feb 07

can you please report back with exactly what antivirus and other protection programs you have on there and if you are getting unwanted pop-ups or if the comp has merely slowed

assuming you have XPsp2 on board? and all windows updates installed? and are you BB or dial up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 28 Feb 07

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 28 Feb 07

2. Hardware

a) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

d) Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

€dstowe 14:45 28 Feb 07

Do you turn the computer off at the mains when you shut down?

My father recently had a computer that was getting slower and slower so he disconnected it from the mains (he normally left it in Windows shut down mode, still connected to the mains supply) with the intention of doing a restore from backup. When he came to do the re-install, he booted up and the machine worked just fine and as fast as it always had done.

The theory is that the RAM wasn't being cleared properly by not being powered down at shut down or it needed to cool for some reason.

Anyway, this was several days ago and it is still behaving normally.

Spark6 15:07 28 Feb 07

An interesting one for me to remember. Mine are always disconnected from the mains after shutdown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now