Computer freezing......second HD??

Dicmay 16:14 22 Jan 03
  Dicmay 16:14 22 Jan 03

I have a four and a half year old Packard Bell 2010. ITs a PII 350Mhz with 256MB of PC100 Ram.
A while ago i installed a second HD as the original one only had a capacity of 8.4GB.

I bought a 40GB Seagate Barracuda drive and installed it as slave to the other drive.

Recently, i've begun to have a problem when accessing this drive, for example using Windows Explorer. The computer freezes and the CPU activity light goes crazy for a few minutes. Usually, the computer unfreezes and i'm able to look at want on the drive (the same happens say when I want to look inside a different directory). Generally, if i'm connected to the net, i'll lose that connection when this happens.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Anyone have any ideas? And help would be much appreciated.

BrianW 16:37 22 Jan 03

Hav a look in "System Information" (under "Start/programmes/accessories/system tools") and look under "problem devices" in particular (as well as checking the other sections) This should tell you if there is a driver problem or maybe and IRQ conflict or somesuch.

Dicmay 16:49 22 Jan 03

Thank you for your reply.

I've had a look at the problem devices section and it seems my printer's drivers are incorrectly installed. I'll have a go at that and see if i works.

With respect to the IRQ conflicts, i read once that u should only have 2 things sharing anyone IRQ. Well, according to MS System Info i have two free IRQ (no.s 3 and 11) but i have:

2 things sharing IRQ 4, 14 and 15
3 things sharing IRQ 10
4 things sharing IRQ 9

Does that sound like a problem? Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Many thanks :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…