Computer freezing when left

Dannyb 20:02 19 Oct 05

My PC had Windows 200 and developed a problem where it kept freezing. Not being able to resolve the problem, and assuming it to be a software cause I tried various ways to sort it and ended up doing a reformat and then installing Windows XP. Annoyingly, it still occurs. Can happen any time, but, almost guaranteed that if the PC is left for a length of time, it will freeze up and have to be re-booted. It must be hardware, I've had new fans installed and taken it from the cupboard it was kept in under the desk so that it is now in the open. Still freezing. Getting to my wits end now and thinking of just buying a new PC unless somebody out there can help me out. Oh, just remembered, I also had a new graphics card installed to try and sort it.

woodchip 20:11 19 Oct 05

it just may be you hard drive going to sleep and will not wake up. go to control panel, power management, check hard drive is set to never switch off

Dannyb 20:26 19 Oct 05

I've just checked that and all the boxes show "never" switch off.

woodchip 20:46 19 Oct 05

Try updating Graphics driver, In Device Manager it the Display Adapter

weemacs 21:32 19 Oct 05

go to power options in Control Panel. Set power schemes to always on and set monitor, hard disk and sytem stand bye to never. In the hibernate tap disable hibernation

DieSse 21:38 19 Oct 05

And disable the screensaver if you have one. Quite a number of systems from a few years back had problems with certain chipsets when using power saving and/or screen saver options - most commonly when both used together.

Dannyb 21:56 19 Oct 05

I changed the settings as suggested and will let you know. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…