Computer Freezing online

ened 14:51 13 Aug 06

Since I started this morning the machine has been freezing whilst online.

Interestingly the taskbar icon has indicated activity.

Being suspicious I immediately switched off.

I tried using Firefox instead of IE but the problem persisted.

Half an hour ago I installed Zonealarm and it appears to be running okay but prior to installation it ran a spyware check and came up with a large list.

I have been running Spybot regularly and this reports nothing amiss.

Is there anyway I can remove this spyware which Zonelabs detected without purchasing their product?

ACOLYTE 15:06 13 Aug 06

I have no idea as i dont use ZA,i find it strange that ZA found a "Large List" of spyware that your other scaners missed,maybe try these free ones first:

click here

click here

click here

see if these flag anything unusual.

ened 15:32 13 Aug 06

I am running your first link as I write.

Earlier I tried to use Trend Micro but the machine froze.

I have already scanned with Adaware.

I probably phrased the question poorly.

I was really wondering if I should be worried or whether Zonelabs was just trying to frighten me into a purchase?

Before I have put all my trust in Spybot

ACOLYTE 17:11 13 Aug 06

It may just be that ZA defines threats differently to other programs,some may not report an item as a threat where as ZA does.

I too use Spybot and it is a good program but i find it doesn't always catch every item this is why i use different apps to augment Spybot and double check if you like the findings,i find it works very well and is well worth doing.

I would rather have dedicated spyware programs to find spyware, and a firewall be a firewall,when you start mixing the pot as ZA has then all sorts of problems can arrise.

Thats just my opinion i know a lot of users swear by ZA,but its not my cup of tea,so if it suits you stick with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos