Computer freezing at login screen

bretonmage 21:29 05 Aug 04

A fortnight ago, my computer started acting wierdly, every time it started up a blue screen was shown with the error message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

So I brought it into the local computer shop and they informed me that the Windows folder had completely disapeared, yet the boot block was still there. So, they reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows, and for the past two days I've been reinstalling all my programs.

Suddenly, the computer freezes after loading windows (you know, the bit where you login). It doesn't seem to matter whether I begin to login or not, it just freezes up every single time. Also, after a few minutes/seconds, it spontaneaously (sp?) reboots itself (after freezing).

Any ideas?

Gongoozler 21:53 05 Aug 04

The most likely cause is a faulty hard drive. However, if the problem only occurred after you installed some software, then a System Restore to before you installed that software could be the cure.

bretonmage 21:56 05 Aug 04

I would try a System Restore, but I can't even get into the computer to do one.

VoG II 22:04 05 Aug 04

Can you please clarify: do you actually get as far as the login screen or does it reboot with the black screen with green or blue squares moving back and forth. Sorry to be technical!

Gongoozler 22:10 05 Aug 04

If you can't get into the computer for a system restore, try to get in in Safe Mode. When you turn on the computer, after the memory check, press and hold the F8 key. You should then be given the option of booting into Safe Mode.

bretonmage 22:14 05 Aug 04

@ VoG

I do get as far as the login screen, sometimes. The reboot seems to be totally at random, sometimes it happens while Windows is loading, sometimes it happens after the system has frozen on the login screen.

Sorry if I'm not making too much sense.

@ Gongoozler

I'll go try that, thanks.

stalion 22:18 05 Aug 04

if you can get in to safe mode have you done a scan for viruses

bretonmage 22:24 05 Aug 04

Gongoozler, I love you, the system restore cured everything.

To everyone: BEWARE OF SYGATE PERSONAL FIREWALL! It caused this mess, restoring to before it was installed fixed me.

Once again, thanks a lot Gongoozler!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…