Computer freezing again on new MOBO..why

lixdexik 16:37 15 Aug 05

My Computer started to freeze with out warning. After freezing and switching it on again it would sometimes freeze during the POST, or at any time during the boot process.

Because it would freeze during the post I thought it was most likely to be a MOBO problem. So I set out and bought a new MOBO ( ASUS A7V600-X )and case with a new power supply (400watt). I have started to put some of the components from the old MOBO onto the new MOBO.

So far I have installed the Processor ( Athlon XP1600+ ) , a new graphics card (Peak Radeon 9250. 128MB DDR), 3 memory cards, (one original 512mb ddr pc2100 and two new cards of the same spec). 1.5gig in total. One 40gig Samsung spinpoint HDD as master. And one ATA/133 RAID controller PCI card to run the 3 HDDs from the original MOBO.

I have installed win xp home and the MOBO drivers, as well as the drivers for the graphics and PCI raid card. I began to load my MP3 collection from one of the HHDs into the windows media player library and was deleting any duplicated music files when the thing froze solid again. Only the power socket on the wall could stop the thing.

So what is the most likely thing to be causing the freezing.

1) The processor? (I hope not) I cleaned off the old thermal paste after removing it and replaced it with new stuff and the cooling fan is running all the time.
2) Duff memory perhaps? Should I remove the original 512mg card and just leave the two new cards?
3) Would the RAID PCI card cause a freeze.

I am going to start with the memory card, I’ll take the original one out and see what happens…What would you do? What should I do?

Cheers Lixdexik.

Diemmess 18:19 15 Aug 05

Substitution or simplification seems to be the name of the game. Yes, I would suspect one or more of the RAM sticks.

What I would do is to simplify the arrangement for starters. Use only one HDD, one stick of ram and only the barest of essentials (leave the RAID stuff out for the present).

If it runs sweetly after stripping, you can try the rest of the bits back again one at a time starting with adding the RAM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 15 Aug 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

lixdexik 19:24 15 Aug 05

I will let things run for a bit (Been stable for an hour now). I took out the older ram stick, and so far it has been ok (early days though)If the problem starts again I will strip things down to basics as Diemmess sujests and try adding things in again a bit at a time. Fingers crossed..

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…