Computer Freezing

Satmansq 21:41 07 Jun 03

Can anyone throw any light on the subject, Windows XP Home SP1, screen locking up and when reset does not even run scandisc, as if nothing has gone wrong. Normally happens when running a memory intensive program defrag, games, media player with visual effects etc.

Chaintech 7AJA/100 mobo, 850 Duron, Elsa Gladiac 32M Graphics, Creative Live 1024 Sound, Encore DXr3 DVD card, modem recognised as lucent although its not, 10/100 LAN card, 256MB SDRam + 512MB SDRam mixed manufacturers, Creative 1241 DVD drive, and Quantum Fireball 20.5GB Hard Drive

Satmansq 22:05 07 Jun 03

sorry Elsa Gladiac MX

hugh-265156 21:38 09 Jun 03

if you get an on screen error,what does it say?

have a look in controlpanel/administrativetools/eventviewer and see if it gives any clues.

"Normally happens when running a memory intensive program defrag, games, media player with visual effects etc. "

sounds like graphics drivers to me maybe?

hugh-265156 21:40 09 Jun 03

ment to say graphics drivers or maybe you could do with more ram.

hugh-265156 21:42 09 Jun 03

ok forget that.

you have all different types of ram

would say maybe thats it.

try removing all but one stick and try it.

Satmansq 16:28 10 Jun 03

Thanks for your suggestions huggy, tried to remove each stick of ram to no avail, tried suggestion from other thread, Hot CPU, reassured me about processor.

been looking through other threads and going to try DirectX to diagnose graphics and sound cards

Satmansq 21:21 10 Jul 03

Thought i had found answer within pages of PC Advisor, article regarding dying hard drive, had all the symptoms including clicking noise from hard drive. Replaced hard drive and cured that problem but still locking up on me.

Would still appreciate any suggestions.

Satmansq 00:48 12 Jul 03

Despite misgivings when reading other articles finally built up the courage to flash BIOS.

This seems to have cured problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple