Computer Freezing

Lio 17:17 10 Sep 10

Hope someone could please help
My daughter turned her pc on and it froze during startup and emitted a continuous beep. Turned power off and tried restarting, this time it booted but froze again very soon after logging on. I have tried doing a system restore and various diagnostics but it just freezes each time without completing anything.
System is and Athlon 64 x2 7750
2GB RAM
Asus mobo
nvidia 9500gt graphics
Windows 7 32 bit

Thanks
Lio

gengiscant 17:33 10 Sep 10

Is your beep sound described here?click here

Lio 17:43 10 Sep 10

gengiscant
Thanks for replying

The continuous beep which suggests no power, loose card or short. There is certainly power and it will sometimes boot. The odd thing is that the beep only sounded when she turned it on initially yesterday and initially today. Subsequent attempts don't give a beep.

I will have a look inside this evening for loose components, but not sure how i will test for shorting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 10 Sep 10

Switch off and unplug from wall

Remove and refit the PCI cards to remake the connections also remove and refit the memory modules.

plug in and retry.

Lio 18:24 10 Sep 10

Fruitbat
Thanks, will try this and let you know how it goes.

Lio 18:45 10 Sep 10

Fruitbat

Done as suggested, however computer just freezes during startup, after windows starting message, but before login screen. Only way to get out of this is to power down, but does same thing on restart even after selecting the repair option.

Does this help?

Thanks
Lio

woodchip 18:48 10 Sep 10

continues beep is overheating check cpu fan is working and no muck round it

woodchip 18:49 10 Sep 10

Also check fan on motherboard if its onboard graphics, these can come loose

mfletch 18:51 10 Sep 10

Does the computer start in safe mode! if yes do a system restore from there

Start into SAFE MODE

1/As your computer starts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
2/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
3/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

Lio 19:24 10 Sep 10

Thanks for replies

Woodchip
Already checked cpu fan is clean, how bert to check working? (i can hear a fan running, but assume this is the main case fan)

mfletch
booted into safe mode ok and carried out a system restore ok. Computer has rebooted so I will now see how it goes

Once again thanks for replies
(I will leave thread open for a little while just to ensure no recurrence)

woodchip 20:40 10 Sep 10

take the side of pc to see if its going round

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…