Computer freezing

ShIvZ 15:44 19 Apr 07

My friends pc keeps freezing after 3mintues of it being turned on, and cannot get it to un-freeze. he has to turn it off from the main plug, to turn his pc back off. So his pc is only good for 2/3 minutes. Then its useless..

Has anyone got any ideas

skidzy 15:50 19 Apr 07

Possibly over heating,check all fans are clear.

Try starting up in safe mode (tapping F8 on startup) and select last known good configuration.

Also run your Antivirus and antispyware apps in safemode.

Post back if the problem persists.

provider 2 15:57 19 Apr 07

Any clues in Event Viewer?

ShIvZ 15:58 19 Apr 07

Nope i tried that

and safe mode doesnt work either

Technotiger 16:01 19 Apr 07

Hi, if needing to turn off computer, rather than turning off from the Mains, hold down the start button on front of computer for four seconds and that will turn it off, with less likelihood of doing any further damage.

skidzy 16:04 19 Apr 07

If you have the windows disc,insert this and select repair.
How to repair windows: click here

Though i have a sneaky suspicion this may be hardware failure.

How old is the pc ?

Possibly if your lucky,try tapping F11 or F10 on startup (maybe a different key) possibly a hidden partition with the os on it.
Normally giving you 3 options.

1) Repair without data loss
2) Restore to factory settings (Destructive)
3) Recover with loss

Your listing if it exists may differ to those ive listed.

Technotiger 16:04 19 Apr 07

Has anyone been 'inside' pc recently, maybe to add memory or something - if so, might have disturbed cables or boards.

Technotiger 16:58 19 Apr 07

I'm thinking same as skidzy, overheating or hardware. What is the state of the inside of case, is it dusty/cobwebby, if there's any dead spiders in there I would say the driver has died ... only jokin', but dirt/dust is not good for pc's especially around the fans.

PCA site just had another hiccup !!

ShIvZ 22:55 19 Apr 07

ok, will check this out

thanks alot

wee eddie 10:35 20 Apr 07

Might I suggest a failed CPU fan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…