computer "freezing"

rdave13 00:17 05 Aug 05

Had problems with the comp freezing at random times. So looked for advice here and was very impressed. So I stopped system restore and ran various anti vir..mal,,and spy..wares.Re set sys. restore and things worked well for a couple of days.

Froze again so I opened the unit up,gave it a good cleanout,checked the ram cards connections, graphics and all other connections I could find.

Everything looked sound.So I monitored the temps but all seemed good.

Didn't want to start playing around with the registry so paid for reg fix. It found problems and "fixed" them.

Fine for a while but then my comp froze.

To cut a long..long story short I found out the problem when I bought some cheap external speakers! As my house is open plan my comp is half way between kitchen and lounge.Power source is from a double socket;one side powers my multi socket extension lead for comp and accessories and the other side for a blooming fridge!!

I suppose I should have twigged sooner that sometimes when the fridge switched on or off it would have affected my machine.
Through my new speakers a loud click was heard and then the world stood still!
Needles to say that since I have changed power point the problem has dissappeared.
Funny that it didn't happen every time the fridges' switch was activated?
Anyone had similar problem?

Forum Editor 00:30 05 Aug 05

I'll move this to Helproom.

rdave13 00:34 05 Aug 05

thanks

DieSse 00:41 05 Aug 05

Switch (electrical) noises are not an uncommon source of glitches in computers. Fridges and flourescent lights are common culprts.

It's a sign of a less than perfect power supply often - the noise spike shouldn't really get through the PSU - but does in some cases. You can fit a spike supressor power strip, or an uninterruptable power supply, both of which contain circuits to filter out such noise spikes.

rdave13 00:50 05 Aug 05

DieSse for the good advice and shall follow it through. Funnily enough my tinny cheap speakers also used to pick up "noise" as if someone was starting a call on the C.B.

That's when they were illegal and the calls came loudly through the "stereogram"!

Shows my age:)

DieSse 00:56 05 Aug 05

At least you didn't call it a gramaphone - had one of those when I was young!

rdave13 01:02 05 Aug 05

replaced gramaphone with the "newfangled" stereogram....but it was high tec..:0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now