//some 3rd party need geo

Computer Freezing

fstr 10:57 19 Jun 04

My computer started freezing up when playing high end games or working on photographs after much experiments it seems to be the processor freezing i can work reasonable well if the case is left open. bios states the processor temp is 59degrees C is this high.

hugh-265156 11:09 19 Jun 04

59C is ok

how much ram and what video card do you have?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 19 Jun 04

Depends on the processor mines an athlon 1.2 running at approx 60 - 65 when working hard would not expect processor to cause freezing more like overworked memory.

Opening the case is actally worse for cooling it stops the fans from pulling air across the components properly(don't laugh there was another post about this a few days ago).

/\0/\

fstr 18:22 19 Jun 04

Huggyg71 RAM is 512meg video card is ATI radion 9200 128 meg changed it from a nvidea card to try and clear fault.

hugh-265156 18:11 20 Jun 04

your specs are fine.

you say above "after much experiments" can you tell us please exactly what you have tried so far to narrow it down to the fault being the cpu overheating?

as above 59C ish is ok and shouldnt cause any hangs or crashes with either an athlon or intel cpu. mine is normally around 40-55C depending on room temps and what im doing.

if it were to go much higher with an intel cpu you may experience slow downs as clock throtling kicks in about 70-75C or so i think to keep things in check and higher than this should cause a shutdown or restart.

athlons usually run a bit hotter than intel processors as Fruit Bat /\0/\ points out above at 65C all is well.

cpu and case fans are very cheap to replace.have you checked they are all spinning ok,cleaned it etc? as Fruit Bat /\0/\ also mentioned above, proper airflow through your case is at its best when its closed. if your system runs ok with the case open then maybe its the case fans are not up to the job,need replacing or you need to get some if you dont have any.

also are there any errors reported in event viewer and is windows all up to date? just in case.

wee eddie 18:30 20 Jun 04

Some of the current High-end Games require double this amount of RAM.

Possibly it might be worth considering how your PC is handling it's Swap Files.

fstr 08:23 21 Jun 04

What have I tried Changed graphics card repaired windows xp (never again lost most of my drivers) memory is in two chips tried each seperately same result.Changed fan on cpu heat sinc. Seems to work when case is open but freezes fairly quickly when case closed. Will probbably settle for this at least I can clear out dust easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…