Computer Freezing Up

Matt45 17:36 06 Apr 04

As I am using my computer - it doesn't matter what I'm doing - for a few seconds, the mouse goes really slow and jerky and file menus don't appear when clicked. Then, after a few seconds, all is fine again. The only thing I have installed recently is NVidia Forceware 56.72 which I needed in order to play Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. I am running Windows XP. Does anybody know what's going on?

johnnyrocker 17:39 06 Apr 04

ctrl alt del and have a look in task manager and see what else is running, you may have some spyware running in the background or such.

johnny.

Matt45 18:18 06 Apr 04

I've just checked there, nothing seems to be running that shouldn't be. I've run Adaware 6 and nothing was brought up.

canard 17:38 07 Apr 04

Try emptying your temp internet files, reducing contents of OE and defrag. Also consider what you don't need at startup and uncheck the boxes.

GaT7 18:14 07 Apr 04

I've had similar problems with updated NVidia drivers. I uninstalled them & the problem went away. But it was something I could do without feeling the pinch - may not be suitable for you! Uninstall the drivers & try re-installing again.

Also, scan your hard drive for errors using Chkdsk. Do a thorough surface test - may take a long time (depending on drive size) so best left running overnight. Good luck, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…