Computer freezes then shuts down and re-starts

maltezer 12:16 02 Jan 03
  maltezer 12:16 02 Jan 03

I have an Advent 8812 Pentium 3 933mhz computer running Windows98 SE.
Whenever I'm using the computer it regularly freezes totally then shuts itself down and re-starts.
Has anybody any suggestions as to what may be wrong.
If you ring the manufacturers helpline all they seem to tell you to do is to use the recovery disk to re-set everything.

recap 12:38 02 Jan 03

maltezer, have you looked in Control Panel/Power Management to see if all settings are correct?

David-263051 13:03 02 Jan 03

maltezer

It could be a video problem. However, there are any number of reasons to cause this and we could end up with 'Have you tried this' from everyone reading your post.

The sure fire way is what I call the allergy test. You keep introducing suspects until one of them produces a rash.

Click on Start>Run and run msconfig. On the General tab choose Selective startup and uncheck everything. Now restart and see how it goes. If all is well introduce each item one at a time with a restart on each occasion. If you have any problems with the last setting then that is your next starting point. If you cannot figure out what is the problem at that point come back here.

If the problem persists before reintroducing any item then come back here.

The above is tedious. You have to knock on a few doors before you get a sale!

noida 19:59 02 Jan 03

i encountered this prob after downloading ZA pro.
solved prob by going thro msconfig then unchecking entry in start up

polymath 20:18 02 Jan 03

When it freezes, do you press control-alt-delete, to get Close Program? Doing it twice restarts the system - I often do it unintentionally, when trying to get the 3 together.

maltezer 17:58 09 Nov 03

Problem solved
I bought a new case,motherboard,processor,twin sata hard drives,memory and windows xp. !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017