Computer freezes the second time I insert a disc.

barkley 20:04 31 Dec 04

I am currently having huge problems with my DVD-RW/CD-RW Disc Drive. When I insert a CD or a DVD into the disc drive the first time after my computer has been turned on, everything works fine. Then when I put another disc into it later, the whole computer freezes and nothing works including the mouse, keyboard, clock, ctrl+alt+del, etc. The only thing I can do is turn the pc off by holding down the power button for 8 seconds. I have already tried reinstalling the drivers for the disc drive. I don't know what to do. Can someone please help?

Technotiger 20:10 31 Dec 04

Hi, sounds very much as if you have a loose connection/connections somewhere - could be anywhere. I would advise a thorough check of all connections inside and out! I am sure there will be other suggestions forthcoming as well.
Good luck and Happy New Year.

Technotiger 21:15 31 Dec 04

btw - what sort of mouse do you have - if it is wireless, this would be the first suspect device.

woodchip 21:51 31 Dec 04

I think you are having a problem with windows, the drive may be still looking for info of the old drive. try taking the first disc out and after a while put the same disc back in to see if it still freezes

barkley 10:16 04 Jan 05

Thought I would let you all know what the problem turned out to be and how I resolved it.

In the end I uninstalled the Nero 6.0 software and restarted the machine. The problems disappeared, so I resinstalled each element of Nero that I needed and restarted and tested between each install.

The problem has not returned. (fingers crossed!)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…