computer freezes,for a few seconds

andygpz 11:42 29 Oct 03

hello,i am using windows 98se and i have noticed that the whole thing just freezes for a few seconds,i thought it was my mouse freezing but that all checks out even when i am playing music off the internet it sounds like the records stuck when it happens,has anyone got any ideas,in simple terms if you can as i am fairly new to comps,thanks

sil_ver 12:09 29 Oct 03

Could be you are getting a bit short of memory or resources. If you are low on resources try shutting down all background progs by pressing ctrl+alt+del and stopping everything except explorer and system tray. You can see resources by going to system properties, press windows key+pause, and click on performance tab. Long time since I ran W98SE.

Proxy Worm 12:13 29 Oct 03

Are you leaving lots of windows open at the same time? Also music takes lots of CPU usage, what is the spec of your pc e.g. what speed, memory etc.

sil_ver 12:25 29 Oct 03

If you only have a 56K modem, streaming audio will be choppy as it cannot keep up with the transfer of the file.

Jimmy98 12:31 29 Oct 03

try disabling active desktop across all windows/folders

andygpz 13:01 29 Oct 03

when i looked in performance it says
256.0 MB of RAM
system resources 77% free
file system 32 bit
virtual memory 32 bit

andygpz 05:57 30 Oct 03

thanks people still happens but i will keep trying different ways thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…